Wakandacon Codeathon 2018
The following terms (the “Rules”) apply to all participants and entries submitted in connection with the Wakandacon Codeathon (the “Contest”), hosted by Wakandacon (“Wakandacon”) on July 1, 2018 – August 5, 2018.
- Code of Conduct
All participants in the Contest must also abide by the terms and conditions set forth in the Convention Policies (“Code”) for Wakandacon, which can be found at https://wakandacon2018.com/attending/convention-policies, the terms and conditions of which are incorporated herein by this reference.
- Participation and Eligibility
The Contest is open to fourty (40) Teams, who complete the Contest registration form described in Section 3 and who are sixteen (16) years of age or older at the time the Contest begins. Employees and interns of Wakandacon and all Judges, and the immediate family members, and persons living in the same household of each, are not eligible to enter or win. Contest is void where prohibited, restricted or taxed by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Teams may enter, but each member of a team must meet all of the above criteria.
To enter the Contest, Teams must register at wakandacon2018.com/codeathon prior to July 23, 2018. Every member of each team must agree to be bound by these official rules. Teams must consist of no less than two (2) entrants and no more than five (5) entrants.
Members of a team must designate one (1) team member who will serve as the point of contact for the Contest (the “Captain”), All team members authorize the Captain to act on their behalf to complete the Contest registration form and submission forms. Each team member will be required to separately agree to the terms of these Official Rules prior to the start of the Contest.
- Travel and Lodging
Attendance of Wakandacon is not required to enter the Codeathon. Each Participant is responsible for his or her own travel and accommodation arrangements and for covering all associated costs and expenses in connection with his or her participation in the Contest.
Participants are expected to supply their own hardware for the Contest.
- Contest Format
Each Team will have to complete and submit a solution. A Contest Submission (the “Submission) should include the team (project) name, a pointer to the code repository hosted on github.com, any necessary instructions for running the same, and a brief description of what the code accomplishes and how it works. Submissions must be posted to the wakandacon2018.com/codeathon website prior to August 1, 2018.
In addition, each team must complete and submit an Official Team Form. The Official Team Form must include the name and email address of the team’s Captain, the name and email address of each individual team member and the allocation of the winnings for each team member should the team be selected as a winner. The Official Team Form will be provided to teams during the Contest. Limit one (1) Submission per team.
DO NOT SUBMIT ANY INFORMATION THAT IS CONFIDENTIAL OR PROPRIETARY OR CONTAINS A TRADE SECRET. INFORMATION SUBMITTED WILL NOT BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED BY WAKANDACON FOR ANY PURPOSE.
Proof of sending will not be deemed to be proof of receipt. Wakandacon is not responsible for lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, misdirected, illegible, unintelligible, garbled, delayed, or misdirected entries, all of which will be void. In the event of a dispute over the identity of a potential winner, the winning entry will be determined by the authorized account holder of the winning entry to the wakandacon2018.com/codeathon website. Any potential winner may be required to provide evidence sufficient to show that he/she is the authorized account holder. A selected finalist or winner may be required to provide the Chamber with proof that he/she is an authorized representative authorized to act and acting for and on behalf of the team named in the Submission, or on behalf of each team member identified in the Submission.
- Representations and Warranties
By entering the Contest, each Participant represents, warrants and covenants as follows:
- Except for sections of code that are publicly available under an open source license, participant is the sole author, creator, and owner of the code they have contributed to the team’s Submission;
- The Submission is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim;
- The Submission does not and will not violate or infringe upon the intellectual property rights, privacy rights, publicity rights, or other legal rights of any third party; and
- The Submission does not and will not contain any harmful computer code (sometimes referred to as “malware,” “viruses,” or “worms”);
- Intellectual Property: Ownership, Licensing, and Right of First Refusal
Submissions of a Team are the intellectual property of the Team and its Participants only.
The Chamber, along with the Contest sponsors, do not claim any intellectual property rights in the Submission, other than the limited rights to review the submission as part of the Contest and to publicize the Submission in connection with public relations concerning either the Summit or any future event hosted by the Chamber.
- Submission Requirements
Each submission must meet the following requirements:
- Functionality: A Submission may be disqualified if it fails to function as expressed in the description provided by the Team.
- Security: Submissions must be free of malware. Participant agrees that Wakandacon, its affiliates, or designees may conduct testing on the product to determine whether malware or other security threats may be present. Non-compliant submissions, as determined at the sole discretion of Wakandacon, will be excluded from the Contest. Further, teams and team members responsible for or associated with a submission that presents a security threat may be subject to the punitive consequences detailed in Code.
- New Work: All Submissions presented to the judges must be developed for the Contest, though participants are allowed to draw from (and incorporate into their Submissions) solutions that are publicly available under an open source license.
- Timely Submission: All entries must be submitted prior to August 1, 2018.
Between August 3-5, 2018, a panel of judges will select one (1) first prize winning team; one (1) second prize winning team; and one (1) third prize winning team. The panel of judges will evaluate each Submission and select the winners based on the following criteria:
The solution represents a new, original idea, or is a novel interpretation of existing models.
The solution takes into account user-centered design principles. The interface is intuitive. If the interface is visual, it is appealing, well laid out, and easy to use and understand.
- Benefit to the World
The solution brings benefit to the user, either through utility or joy, and has a positive impact on the world, no matter how small or local that impact may be.
The scope of the solution is well defined, and it functions as intended.
The solution is a creative and relevant answer to the call of “bringing Wakanda to life.”
The winning teams will be notified after August 5, 2018. For each team selected as a winner, in the event of noncompliance with these Official Rules, the selected winner forfeits the prize. For purposes of this Contest, the disqualification of Captain on behalf of the team, or of any of the individual team members, for any reason may result in the disqualification of the entire team. If a team is disqualified, or forfeits its prize, the prize will be awarded to a substitute team to be selected based on the criteria above from all remaining eligible entries.
Three (3) prizes will be awarded; one (1) prize will be awarded to the each of first, second, and third-place teams. The prizes will be announced soon.
PRIZES ARE AWARDED “AS IS” AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE). Prizes may not be substituted, transferred or redeemed for cash, except by Wakandacon who reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to substitute a prize or portion of prize of equal or greater value. All prize details are at Wakandacon’s sole discretion. Incidental expenses and all other costs and expenses which are not specifically listed as part of a prize in these official rules and which may be associated with the award, acceptance, receipt, and use of all or any portion of the awarded prize are solely the responsibility of the respective prize winners. All federal, state, provincial, and local taxes associated with the receipt or use of any prize are solely the responsibility of the prize winners. The prize will be awarded according to the agreed allocation in the Official Team Form. If the members of a winning team cannot agree on an allocation, the winnings will be held in escrow until such time as there is an agreement. Any prize not claimed within 60 days is forfeited.
- This Contest is void where prohibited. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations;
- Neither Wakandacon, its affiliates, nor its agents, are responsible for resolving any disputes between team members;
- Any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, other than those concerning the administration of the Contest or the determination of winners, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action;
- Any and all disputes, claims and causes of action against Wakandacon arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be governed by the laws of Illinois, without regard to its choice of law principles, and shall be resolved exclusively by the appropriate Cook County Court, and participants consent to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of such courts as described above; and
- Except where prohibited by law, as a condition of participating in this Contest, each participant agrees that any and all disputes and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, EACH PARTICIPANT HEREBY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES AND ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN FOR ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES, AND ANY AND ALL RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED.
- Waivers and Releases
By entering, participants agree:
- to be bound by these official rules and the decisions of Wakandacon, which are final and binding;
- to waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Contest or these official rules;
- that they may be contacted in person, by phone, or by e-mail, with respect to the Contest;
- that Wakandacon, its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, and advertising and promotion agencies, and their respective officers, directors, shareholders, and employees (collectively “Releasees”) are not responsible for lost, damaged, or misplaced entries, incorrect or inaccurate transcription of entry information, or for any human or other error, technical malfunction, lost/delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, line failures of any telephone network, computer equipment, software, inability to access any online service or web site, or any other error or malfunction, or any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation in this Contest, or for any injury to person or property; and
- that the Releasees will not be liable for losses or injuries of any kind resulting from acceptance/possession/use and/or misuse of the prize, travel to and from any prize-related activity, participation in the Contest, or printing, mailing or distribution errors.
Unless prohibited by law, entry into the contest shall constitute and signify each participant’s agreement (or in the case of a team, each individual team member and the Captain permission for the Releasees to use that participant’s name, address (city and state only), and/or likeness for advertising and trade purposes without further compensation or right of review or approval, worldwide and in perpetuity, in any and all forms of media, now known and hereafter devised, including without limitation the Internet. Winners’ names, likeness, and photos and videos from the Submission may be posted online at Wakandacon’s website, Wakandacon’s social media channels, and other locations, as well as used at events Wakandacon may host or attend. Each winner expressly consents to these uses.
- Additional Restrictions
If for any reason the Contest is not capable of being executed as planned, or tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of Chamber corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, Chamber reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any suspect entry and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest and/or award the prizes from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received as of the date of the termination, as Chamber determines in its sole discretion. Entries not complying with these official rules are subject to disqualification.
- Data Privacy
If any provision(s) of these official rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
- To Receive Winner Names or Official Rules:
To request the name of the Winners (available after August 5, 2018) or a copy of these official rules, mail your request, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Wakandacon, 925 W. Huron Suite 102, Chicago, IL 60642. Requests for a copy of these official rules received more than three months after August 5, 2018 will not be honored.